I buy a lot of chicken to stock my freezer because its cheep. The problem is, I never had any really good recipes for it all. I've tried dozens but nothing ever turned out well enough to do again. Except for the basic bbq chicken breast..can't go wrong with bbq in my house. Anyway, the kids LOVE fried chicken and I finally found a recipe that's a keeper. It actually turned out less oily than the oven-fried chicken recipes I've tried.
Southern Style Deep Fried Chicken
4-5 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
4 cups milk
2 cups solid veggie shortening
1 Tbs salt
3/4 cup flour
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg beaten
If the meat needs to be tenderized, put chicken and milk in a bowl, cover, and set in fridge for 2 hours- overnight.
When ready to cook:
Pour chicken and milk into a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 20 min. Remove chicken to a rack to cool for 15 min. Pat dry.
Heat shortening in a dutch oven (cast iron skillet) till just before smoking point (325 degrees). In a large zip lock, combine salt, flour and cayenne pepper. In a med bowl, beat the egg. One piece at a time, coat chicken in flour mixture, then in egg, then in flour again. (can repeat if you like thicker batter). Place in hot skillet cooking 1 min per side. Transfer to rack till all are complete and serve. side note: We were out of eggs so I used a bowl of milk instead and it worked great. The batter would have probably gotten thicker if I used an egg. (W.W.= 4 pts per piece but well worth it).
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment