Wednesday, April 22, 2009

R.A.D.


I just started taking the R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) course through the Davis PD. It's an awesome class! The first of the 5 classes was last night and I have to tell ya, I am SORE! We went over (and over and over) blocking and hitting and voice projecting. There are 10 ppl in the class, the youngest is 19 and the oldest is 92 :). We were all a bit shy when it came to yelling NO! every time we hit and blocked, but the instructors loosened us up pretty quickly. And I thought I would do fairly well with the hitting thanks to Billy Blanks, but I learned a lot. They (there are 2 instructors) showed us how to get the maximum power out of our bodies. I was truly amazed at how much harder I was able to hit just from rotating my hips. Just amazing what some knowledge gets you ;). In later classes, we will talk about how to avoid being a target in the first place, which I think will be even more useful to people. One neat thing is that once I pass this course, I can participate in it again, any where in the nation, for FREE! So for $25 I get to learn valuable skills and refresh myself anytime I want :) If you were ever considering taking a course like this, I highly reccomend it. Not just for the knowledge of how to defend an attacker, but it does build confidence and its a great work out :)

On a side note: Have you ever read the Anna Pigeon Series by Nevada Barr? I am a huge fan (most of you already know that heehee). The main instructor is EXACTLY like Anna Pigeon. Her attitude, the way she phrases her sentences...its unreal. Now when I read those books, I'll be picturing her as the main character. :)

No comments: