Saturday, January 24, 2009
FHE
For the past couple of FHE's we've been talking to the kids about manners/etiquette during meals, at home and at restaurants. We don't go out to eat often, but we usually go to the same place. So the kids have been feeling a little TOO comfortable at "our" restaurant. Every once in a while, when we have lots of leftovers, we create "The Cheney Cafe" or "Manners Matter Diner" in our kitchen. I put up a big sheet to hide our kitchen, create menus for all the kids, and talk about the differences in eating at home and eating out. They totally get into it...talking with a "fancy" accent, putting their pinky out when drinking, funny things like that. And its a fun way for me to get rid of our leftovers. This time around though, I added in that we are all responsible for taking care of our own dishes at the end of each meal. To stir things up a bit, we bought everyone a clear bowl. Tonight, we each painted our own bowl with glass paint. This is the only bowl they are allowed to use...ever. If they need a bowl and theirs is dirty, then they have to wash it. Of course I will probably still help with this, but I'm hoping it brings a bit more respect for our dishes than they usually have. If it works out well, then I'm gonna get plates a cups too. :) Here are some pics of our night of painting.



Kelsie's bowl
Brookes bowl
My bowl
Marks bowl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
That is such a great idea. I love it.
You are awesome!
Post a Comment