Monday, January 9, 2012

You're All Gonna Think I'm Crazy

The year (school year that is) is half over and I am D.O.N.E.! There have been so many ups, downs and turn arounds that it has taken me a while to see which way is up. I "think" I've got an idea now. School has been the source of my stress these days (not the only source, but the one I can do something about). From #1 being so far advanced in math that the school cannot provide her with the materials she needs to #3 being the exact opposite in reading and the school still not having the ability to provide for her to #2 being (literally) a straight C+ student and given no motivation, other than me, to try harder. #4 is the only one to be completely happy in school. Of course what does a Kindergartener that already knows how to read have to do but finger paint?

So why are you going to think I'm so crazy? After years of saying "NO WAY! Absolutely NOT! There is not a chance in...I could ever muster up the patience for it", Mark and I have decided (after much prayer and discussion) that next year, we are going to **gasp** home school! To be honest, I have been thinking about it since we moved back to Simi. We were hoping, still am, to be moving and didn't want the kids to go from school to school not knowing if they were going to stay or leave. I really owe a huge thanks to all my friends that showed me their routines and have given advise and to the friends who, even though we never talked about it, showed by example that home schooling can work and you won't royally screw your kids up. I also owe the State of California a "thanks" for approving the most ridiculous curriculum change for elementary schools next year.

Last summer the kids kept asking, "Can we learn to build this..Can we go there...Why/how does this happen...maybe we can look up this and learn more about it...". And while I would tell them that it would be great to do all these things, reality was that school was about to start and I knew there was no way we would have time to do it all in the couple of hours between homework, dinner, and bed time. Which I find ironic that we couldn't really learn these things because they were busy receiving a sub-par education at school.

The weeks of Christmas break sealed the deal for me. I realized that I have awesome kids that I hardly knew. And they have needs that are kinda sorta being met. Our family was getting lost in the daily routine of fast breakfast, run out the door to school, pick up, go home, pick up again, go home again, do homework fast (but neat) before dinner, maybe get some tv or game time, go to bed, repeat in a few hours. Did I mention trying to remember fitting in story time, cleaning, scripture time, FHE (that lasts longer than 10 mins), Activity Days, cleaning, girl scouts, boy scouts for Mark (it is his calling after all), cleaning, and on and on. You all know what I'm talking about and most have the same day as me, even with fitting in a full time job of your own. I have reached the point where it's just not ok with me anymore. I want something more for my family and spending time with them and helping them grow is the solution. 

With all that said, I have been doing a ton of reading...blogs, books, websites. There are so many great ideas and ways to teach the same subject  I am both itching to get started and freaked at the same time. I decided that we are going to do a summer school as a sort of trial. #1 and 2 are going to do math, #3 and 4 will do reading, #5 will learn ABC's, and #6 will distract us all. :) This will be my time to set the ground rules, figure out how we work best together, make sure I can do this without completely destroying my in-laws house and drive them insane, the basics. When August rolls around we will use the K12 program. Not because I particularity like it but because it is free and they send you everything from books to crayons. Then when I get my barrings, we will set our own curriculum. 

So there you are. Our "grand plan" for the future of our family.

5 comments:

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

Awesome. I love it. How empowering. Every kid I know who was home schooled is a fabulous kid. Good luck Dawn and I hope you have time to put updates up on your blog about what/how you and the kids are doing with it. When the time comes, we'll consider home schooling as well.
Tate

THE SNOW FAMILY said...

Personally I think all homeschooling moms are crazy. hehe. Not really. I totally see you doing this and your family thriving. You are an amazing mom and admire you so much!

Sherree and John said...

Good for you, Dawn! I know this was a hard decision to make, but I think you'll be glad. I know you are up to the challenge and you'll do a great job!

Ashley said...

That's exciting! I don't know what I would do if Rae were in school all day. I watch the line of cars driving their kids to school at 7:30 (we live one block over from the school) and I think of Rae still snoozing in her bed or just getting up and watching cartoons with her brothers. I'm happy that she is here all day - able to talk to me whenever she wants - free to do whatever projects she feels like doing. And I also like it because I have time to teach her important household skills.

But, since it is mainly her and she's only 7, we haven't really started on a big set schedule of learning yet. She just does a lot of reading and we work on worksheets throughout the day. Next year Blaise will be in kindergarten, so we'll probably set a more strict schedule. Then it may not be as fun as it is now :)

Natalie Cannon said...

All right, it's official. I really do want to be you when I grow up. Where do I sign up? You're an awesome mom. What a hard decision. We'll have to chat when I am in town. I totally have to do summer school with the kids this year, maybe we can team up.