Every year the PTA pays for the Missoula Children's Theatre (www.mctinc.org) to come to the school for a week. They do a different play every year and provide the costumes, make-up, sets...everything but the actors :) It's for all ages, but my girls have never shown any interest in participating. This year however Brooke was practically jumping out of her skin to try out. Because this isn't a typical school play, not every kid can have a part. But the staff does an amazing job on adding characters and different roles to get as many kids as possible into the play.
This year they are doing Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. About 70 kids were at tryouts and there were only 40 openings. Brooke was so excited to tryout she convinced about 5 other kids to join her, one of those being Kelsie. Kelsie waited till the VERY last minute to agree. The auditions were actually really fun. The 2 staff members did a great job of doing group skits...so great I don't think the kids really knew that was their audition. Making it so not one person was nervous. About half way through Brooke caught on that the staff was moving kids around. At first you couldn't really tell there was a method, but Brooke saw it. With about an hour left of tryouts, she was close to tears realizing she was in the wrong position to get a part.
This is were I have to brag a bit about Brooke. I can't believe she caught on so quickly. For about 20min I was baffled as to why she was upset. She actually had to explain it to me after the fact how she knew what was happening. So...she knew there were 70 kids there and only 40 parts, a bit of simple math to know how many wouldn't make it. She saw they started auditions in the "front" of the line (they were in a circle but from tallest to shortest). Then about half way through, they jumped to the end of the line (the shortest). She was somewhere in the middle even though she knew she should have been with Kelsie near the end of the line. Then all she had to do was count and she knew, because she wasn't standing where she should be, she was out. I doubt any of the other kids saw the pattern or even thought to count out who was being moved around. I don't think my brain will ever be able to calculate the way hers does.
Anyway, in the end, Kelsie just barely made it. If she was one space over she wouldn't have. Brooke was 2 spaces away from getting a part. She was totally crushed. And there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. She was feeling bad about telling ppl (especially Kelsie) to tryout. But Kel was excited and I didn't want to take that away from her. This is where the "Amazing Sister Awards" get handed out....
On the way to the car Brooke finally breaks into tears. Kelsie is just figuring out that because of practices, she won't be able to have her play date or go to her 4-H activity. (The play is only one week so I didn't think it was that big of a deal, apparently I was wrong). Kelsie breaks into tears. Kelsie wants Brooke to take her part but Brooke won't because this is most likely going to be the last year the PTA can pay for it. Brooke doesn't want Kelsie to miss out on the opportunity. Now I have 2 kids crying and neither one wants to be in the play. Finally I convince Brooke that there will be other plays and she doesn't need to feel bad for Kelsie. She understands and accepts the part and Kelsie is now happy about having her play date. **sigh** all the drama.
I posted a brief note on FB about what happened. At first I was confused why everyone thought it was funny and cute. I guess seeing how hurt Brooke was hit me harder than I thought. I am actually really glad to see everyone else's point of view cuz now I can see how ironic it all was and even Brooke is laughing about it.
So, the play is on Saturday. One show at 2pm and one at 7pm at Koremautsu Elem. if you want to come :) I will hopefully be able to find my video camera in time to tape it :)
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
That just breaks my heart for Brooke:( She sounds like such an amazingly strong and kind girl. It is so sad when these things happen but it makes it a little bit better seeing the love that sisters have for each other.
Isn't it true that nothing can prepare you for the hurt you feel for your kids. I just wish I could make things better with my girls but realize that these things are part of growing up. Yuck :(
It's the irony that is funny, definately NOT the kids feelings!!! It's crazy how we can mood swing and I loved that at one point neither wanted to do it...you can just see the wheels turning in both of their heads to get where they did! Brooke is one smart kid...not that that is any surprise!!! :) What a sweetheart!!! We miss you guys!!
That's quite a story and those are two great girls! You have very good reason to be very proud of both of them.
Tate
Oh, Brooke is such a sweetie. She amazes me. I'll be there on Saturday! Can't wait to see the show. Love, Nana
Post a Comment