One thing that has been on my mind is Mark's and mine new calling. We (for the past couple of weeks) have been teaching Sunday School to the 15-17 yr olds. There have been between 10-20 kids coming. Why so many? The church Bball program has been recruiting the local non-member boys to the team. In order to play, they have to come to church at least once a month and uphold the church's standards. Those kids actually are really respectful and know their Old Testament really well. Its fun having them, I just wish they came more often. :)
I've never really been comfortable teaching. Talks I can do, but my brain doesn't think fast enough to come up with replies to comments and questions. I end up saying "Thanks for sharing" or "Thats interesting" or "great thanks" way too much. (Thank goodness Marks is there too!) Thanks to this book my mom got me (The Old Testament Made Easier by David Ridges) I have actually been enjoying studying. Once you understand the old customs and terms, the stories are quite funny. For instance the story of Leah and Rachel becoming Jacobs wives. I always thought how sad the whole situation was. Which, of course it was, but never before had I seen how their behavior is identical to some sisters today. Thousands of years go by and yet we haven't changed at all. (This is where Mark points out that this is probably why my Patriotically Blessing says I should study the lives of the women in the church ;) ) At one point while reading I even laughed out loud. The scriptures have never made me laugh before lol. I guess what made it so funny was that Mark and I recently had a similar discussion as Rachel and her father Laban. If you want to know more just ask, but thats all I'm gonna say right now ;)
Anyway, I am really enjoying learning the Old Testament. Its true that you defiantly learn more when you are a teacher rather than a student. Hhhmmm, maybe I should have some kids teach a Sunday or two just to prove my point ;)
So the title of this post is "ready to go". To explain a bit, I told the girls last Sunday to get ready for church and sit nicely till we were all ready. There's no tv or computer before church so usually they color or read. Now I guess I need to be more specific and say no electronics...at least they are sitting nicely like I asked :)







No comments:
Post a Comment