Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Funday

Friday is the day I decided would be used for art, music, and any other extra subject (like maybe foreign language eventually). Yesterday I was realizing I could use a few more "helps" so I don't get overwhelmed with the same questions over and over. So today I also deemed "teacher work day". I set them up with some games and got busy making folder offices for them. I taped 2 file folder together so, when standing up, it will be a 3 sided barrier to put on their desk. On the folders I put some helpful reminders like a number chart and common words for Becca, the rules of multiplying for Shayna, basic equations and rules for writing paragraphs for Kelsie and Brooke. As we go through the year there is plenty of space for more to be added. I'm hoping they will actually be used and be a potential study guide. While I was doing my stuff, the younger kids were playing a math game. (But don't call it that in front of them, they won't play if you do) ;)  At first I was just going to assign each color ring a number (blue=1, red= 2...) but the kids were getting confused so instead I wrote #s 1-9 on paper. They threw two bean bags. The sum of the numbers they landed on was their score. Then we did subtracting the numbers. The older girls did a round of multiplying but after the second turn they kept aiming for the 1 and 2...end of game for them lol.


Becca kept score on the white board. Using mom's markers always makes a game better ;)

Because markers are rarely allowed in this house, I LOVE kitchen art. Today we colored rice so we could make mosaics. Its really easy! You need a gallon zip lock bag, a few spoonfuls of rubbing alcohol per bag, 1 cup of rice per bag, and food coloring. First put the rubbing alcohol in the bag then the color. Add the rice, close the bag and mix it up so the rice gets coated. You can add more color at this point if you want. Mix it for about 5mins if that then spread it out on wax paper to dry. I put the wax paper on a cookie sheet just in case. It should take about an hour to air dry. I doubled the amts above so it took longer but it goes by a lot faster if you stick it outside on a hot day like this.


 Once dry, I gave the kids cardboard pieces. They used glue to draw pictures and sprinkled the rice on top. Poor Ty was sent to the other table because he was helping too much.



 Brooke's shaking off the extra rice. At first she wanted to get all the rice to go the same direction but it was hot out and that takes a lot of time and patience. :)

All the wonderful creations! :)
   

No comments: