Friday, November 19, 2010

Granola Bars

I'm posting this for a friend. FB wouldn't give me enough space to write it all out and this was the only other way I could think of to share it ;) Its chewy the first day then gets crunchier and crunchier until you really have to fight to break it up. Don't throw it away when it hits this point! Get it into chunks and its very yummy as cereal :) I pour milk over to cover then either eat it cold or heat it up like oatmeal. Not exactly sure how healthy it is, but I like it all the same!

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat grem
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 ounce unsalted butter plus extra for pan
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit (any kind you want: apricots, cherries, blueberries)

Butter a 9x9 glass baking sheet. Heat oven to 350. Spread oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a cookie sheet. Toast in oven for 15 min, stirring occasionally. In meantime, combine honey, sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt in a med sauce pan. Cook until sugar has dissolved completely. Once the oat mixture is done, remove it and reduce heat to 300. Immediately add oats to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into prepared dish and bake in oven for 25 min. Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting.

2 comments:

THE SNOW FAMILY said...

YUMMMYYY!! Looks pretty healthy to me!

KPackard said...

What an awesome recipe! And, Dawn, thank you, thank you for putting up a link to my photography website! So thoughtful and awesome of you!

I loved all of your kids Halloween costumes--so creative and fun! Your cupcakes looked exactly like Jack Skellington--I knew him right away! Miss you guys and can't wait to see more pictures of your newest little guy!