Tuesday, September 8, 2009
OK, Moms, I need your input...
I am trying to ween (sp?) Austin. He is still nursing mostly at night but during the day as well. My problem is if I go for more than 5 hours not nursing, he throws up right after I do nurse him next, then he is fine for future nursing that are closer together. This first happened when I went skiing for the day then came back and nursed him, he was bout 4 mos old. I know the most logical conclusion is to just stop nursing altogether, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. With the girls I was able to nurse like once a week for comfort and to make it easier on me engorgment wise. But now I am competely engorged, hurting like heck, and afraid to nurse...any advise would be awesome. (And for you new mommy's, this really does prove that no matter how many kids you have, you still don't know everything ;) )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







6 comments:
Austin still wants to nurse or you want him to nurse just so it doesn't hurt? If the second is the case, I have a bottle of tylonel you can have. Then use warm wash clothes when it gets bad. Suck it up and in under a week you'll be in fine.
I tell people I could never be a nurse and now you know why...hehe.
But really, good luck!!! love you!
Its really just that Austin wants to nurse, but only at night. During the day he is content with his food, milk, and water. But at night he (well,me too) uses nursing to put him to sleep. But now he is starting to wake up every 2-3 hours again to nurse ><. I'm really wondering about the throwing up part. I've never seen/heard of a kid that throws up after the 1st nursing then is fine for the rest.
That's odd about the throwing up-
never heard of it happening.
I'd say you should probably just go cold turkey. It will be really hard at night but soon he'll figure out how to get himself to sleep without nursing. But that is kinda the easy way out, and I usually take that way. :)
I did cold turkey on Blaise and was so engorged, but it only lasted about 2 days, so it was fine. Just wear a tight bra and don't let your kids climb on you! :)
Okay,this is going to sound crazy and gross, but... when I weaned Evan I was totally engorged and in SO much pain, so I looked up some ideas on line. I found out that cabbage helps reduce your milk supply. So, you are supposed to put cabbage leaves, against your skin, inside your bra. It sounds insane, I know, and I felt like an idiot doing it, but I did it only at home and it actually really did help. If you are desperate enough, you might try it. :)Good luck!
I did the cabbage bra with Willa. Works great. Don't go "cold turkey" nurse until the "over full" feeling goes away but you still have milk left in your breasts. That gives your body the signal to stop producing and you can still let your kids touch you.
So true that even with 5 kids I still don't know what the heck I'm doing. I just went through this with Willa. If you'd asked about teething I'd reply "WhAHHHH?"
The only thing that I can think of as far as the throwing up goes is that you have so much milk after not nursing for a few hours that he over fills his stomach and thus throws up. Is he mostly upright after his first nursing or does he go back to sleep? If he is not upright- that might also contribute to the situational throw up. If you think he might be over filling himself, I would try to limit the breastfeeding time... Good luck
Post a Comment