I got home from the grocery store to find Shayna sitting on her bed with tears in her eyes. My first reaction was to ask Kelsie what happened. (Which now I feel really bad thinking she had anything to do with her sister crying, but she's usually involved one way or another.) When no one knew what happened I turned back to Shay to find out what was going on. I know, I should have comforted her first, but looking at her record I figured she would try her best to get the offender in as much trouble as she thought they deserved. (And again I feel really bad for jumping to conclusions.) So finally she was ready to open up and explain her predicament.
(this as close to quoting her as I can get):
"I want to go to Mathew's house and Karlee's house and Nana Papa's house and Oma Opa's house and Dad wants to go to Crazy Sean's house. But I also want to go to school. So we need to have everyone come here so I can play with them. But then we need a bigger house so they all have beds (side note: beds are very important to Shay). And I don't have money to get a bigger house."
Oh man, I can't tell you how sad I felt for this poor little girl. She had the weight of the world on her shoulders and just couldn't figure out how to make it work. :( She has always been my planner and organizer. She is always prepared when we go out..she put clothes, underware, bandaids, juice and a can of oranges in her backpack when we went to the park once, just in case :) After calming her down I tried to explain that she didn't have to worry about anything, Dad and I would find a way to visit everyone. She wasn't satisfied. So together we talked about having a reunion with all the family. My fam has already started talking about going camping so she had a sliver of hope this would work. At this very moment, she is "writing" invitations to Marks fam to come to our unplanned reunion. So Cheney gang...lets start thinking about a huge reunion maybe next summer!?!? ;) Shay has already decided what food we can bring and the games/crafts we will do. :) One thing (of the many I probably should have learned) this conversation has taught me is that Shay really needs to be incharge of something. I know she will be much happier if she has a job and purpose in the everyday activities. Hopefully I can find the right job that she can do without feeling overwhelmed with life.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
Awesome...I sure wish these guys came with a users guide to help us figure some of that out! :)
Oh, she is so sweet. I think Shayna and my Sabrina would get along REALLY well.
Oh, Shay- such a sweetheart! It's amazing to find out what's in the hearts & minds of our little ones. Tell Shayna that when she comes to Nana's house next time to be sure to look at the new bed in the stuga. It was Shayna's suggestion that we put a little bed in there, so we got a futon!
Ahh..a girl after my own heart! So sweet!
Ok that is just adorable!!
Post a Comment