Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cards and goats

Cards have become the new "video game" in this house (which I am loving!). We had our monthly family dinner on Fathers Day and, as always, we played games. One game we really like is a card game we call "Idiot". I think because it doesn't take much skill and there isn't one winner, but one looser. This was the first time my girls were able to play too and they absolutely love it! I'll write down the rules later in the post. :) Anyway, Mark and I went through the girls rooms and found every playing card we could and got 5 full decks and 3 partial decks from our search. Of course we hid the 5 good ones and gave the girls the other 3. They were totally excited :) They played "War" for a while, then "Math War"(same as War but you throw down 2 cards and add them up so if you have a 2 and 4 and the other person has two 3's, you go to war), then the ever classic "Go Fish" which didn't work so well with the missing cards. But the thing they loved the most was making towers and homes for their Polly Pockets. Now I really wonder why I've spent $$ on doll houses and such when they really prefer to make their own ;).Rules to Idiot:

4-6 players use two decks, 6+ players use 3 decks
For each player, place 3 cards face down in front of them. Then place 3 cards face up on them, one on each "face down" card. Deal everyone 3 cards to hold.

Ace is high
2 is wild
10 takes away the discard pile and can be played anytime.

Before you start, everyone can switch out the cards in your hand and the face-up cards. You want to have high cards and/or 10's and 2's as your "face-up" cards.
Place the rest of the deck in the middle. Who ever has a 3 starts play by putting it next to the pick-up pile. The next person can put down any card that is a 3 or higher. You need to always have 3 cards in you hand so don't forget to pick up the same amount you discard. If a 2 is played, then you just start the numbering over. If a 10 is played, the discard pile is removed from the game and the player gets another turn. If you don't have a card that is the same or higher than the top discarded card, flip one card over. If it is not higher then you pick up the pile and the next player puts down their lowest card. (If you have more than 3 cards in your hand, you do not need to pick up each turn). Continue this until the "pick-up" pile is gone. Then just continue play without picking up. :) The goal is to not be the last one holding cards. So once your hand is gone, then you can play the "face-up" cards. Beware, you may have to pick-up the discard pile so you will once again have to get rid of those cards before you can continue playing your other cards. Once all 3 "face-up" cards are played then you can play the "face-down" cards BUT you can not look at them! You have to play them blind. This is when you might get cards in you hand again :). The game is over when only one person has cards.

Thats it...it really is fun and the kids like it because there's more than one winner :) So now my video is done processing so I'll move on to the goat part of this post :)

One of my parents goats had babies (Crash and Spiro) and they are supper cute! I didn't get pix of them so you'll just have to take my word for it ;) I know most baby-anything are really cute, but if I every have property, I would fully consider getting a goat or two, they are that fun to be around. :) The video is of Minnie, the baby goat my mom has been bottle feeding. Soooo cute!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

hooray for games! My girls love playing uno if you're looking for another idea...

Sherree and John said...

I love the playing card doll houses. Reminds me of when I was young and barbies were new - we made our own Barbie houses with odds & ends. Manufactured ones weren't sold back then.

Fun to see the girls on video! I didn't realize you were taping. I love the "Ohp!" at the end! HaHaHa. Sugar just had to see what you were doing.

KK said...

Cards are the best! It's nice to know there are still some kids that can entertain themselves with something electronic.